Forgiveness

jacob - Holton, Kansas

I believe ☺

My story starts out in seventh grade. I was attending a small school about 10 miles north from the city of Holton. I had been there since kindergarten. My family has always been very competitive when it comes to sports and the main one was basketball. Jackson Heights, the school I used to attend, was a great school because they were very famous for basketball. Although they were a great school there were some kinks in the system that led to the worst thing ever. Our basketball coach and my physical education teacher was fired from the school. He was by far my favorite teacher. He was one of those adults that would joke around with you and pick you up when you were having a bad day. He had just got done taking the team to the state tournament two out of the last three years. The entire school board wanted him out simply because he was not playing everyone. When asked what he thought about this he said, “I am going to play the players that are willing to lay it all out to win.” I have lived my life by this.

We were supporting the coach and in the end when he was fired we had some bad labels put to our name. My family had a big decision to make. Stay at Jackson Heights and suffer through very immature actions by grown men and women. Or go and be hated by all the kids you had grown up with and pray to god that the kids at your new school would like you. You wouldn’t think that it would be hard to make new friends at a different school but this just wasn’t a different school this was a rival school with rival students who hated your guts when it came to basketball. Favoritism played a big part in their program if you had a certain last name and no athletic ability what so ever you would probably play just so the coach wouldn’t make your parents mad.

We decided to leave Jackson Heights at the end of my seventh grade year. It was a very hard decision for my parents and my younger brother and I to make. We both knew the move would be very difficult. I remember many nights I could here my parents arguing about the move from the second floor in my room. My mom would be crying and my dad would be trying to calm her down and explain why it’s a good thing that we go. When I got to Holton I was lucky to find out that some kids had found out that my family and some of my friends were moving there and they welcomed us with open arms. It was easy to make friends and blend in. I felt like I should’ve been there all along.

It’s been two years since the big move and I have been beginning to get some phone calls from my friends at Jackson Heights. We would talk for an hour or two on how their lives are going and all the difficult things that have came up. I really enjoyed this because these are the kids that you first made friends with and loved since kindergarten. There are even some kids that are so stubborn and hate you because you left that they are kind of hard to deal with. I always say hi or hey to them when I see them hoping I get a response, when I do I know that they aren’t as mad as they once were. There are also those kids that just really hurt you deep down and really upset you. That’s when you have to dig down and really ask god to help you to forgive and forget.

Just remember no matter what, in the world somewhere there is going to be someone who doesn’t like you and I believe that your objective in life is to make as many friends as you can and just live don’t care what other people say. It’s that easy, when someone says something to you that you really didn’t want to hear just put your head down and keep walking.