A Life Changed

Alexa - Holton, Kansas
Themes: change

Fourth grade was when my life was changed forever. As a kid I grew up with both of my parents. I thought that my parents got along just fine, and that they would be together forever. It turned out that I was wrong.

I don’t remember a lot of things, but this is one of those things that will stick with me forever. My parents soon began fighting almost every night. My sister and I would sit in my room and listen to them fight through the air vent, that lead to the downstairs where they were at.

One night we were listening in on one of their fights. They then called us both into the living room to tell us something that I wasn’t expecting. They told us that sentence that kids dread to hear from their parents. They said, “We are taking a break for a while.”

My grandma and grandpa, my dad’s parents, were out of town for a couple of weeks. My dad stayed at their house over their little “break.” At the time I seemed to get along better with my dad, so I asked to go stay with him a couple of nights. Weeks passed and he never came home. That’s when I knew that the so-called break that they were taking was becoming a permanent break up.

It was hard as a fourth grader to understand what was going on, and if all of this was my fault. I knew that them breaking up would lead to changes throughout my life, and this time I was right.

It wasn’t too long after they got a divorce when my mom started seeing this guy, my step dad. He had four kids of his own already and they went to a different school as me. When they moved in together, I wasn’t quite sure how things would turn out. Shortly after my mom started dating, my dad started dating this woman, my step mom. She also had four kids of her own already, but they all went to my school.

Having other kids, and other stepparents is what really changed my life. I love being around all of them and I feel like we’re blood related. I went from growing up with two parents and a sister to growing up with four parents and nine siblings, and that’s the hard part. We don’t always get along, but I still love that I’m related to them now.

I believe that change in someone’s life is sometimes not always a bad thing. I’ve learned to grow onto the change in my life, and learn to love it just as if it were there the whole time. Some people fear change, but I realize now that change isn’t always bad, and people shouldn’t think of it as a bad thing but think of it as a new beginning.