Solomon - USA
Themes: community

Imagine that you are a 23 year old, Cal Poly graduate in Electrical Engineering. Your whole life you have studied hard and have earned yourself a 90k a year starting salary with Apple. Life is good, or so it seems. For some odd reason, there is rarely a smile present on your face, let a lone a laugh. The amount of people that say hi to you in the mornings is none to minimal and you cannot remember the last new person you’ve met. What is lacking you ask? Social skills. I believe in the rewards of social networking throughout your educational career.

Clubs, Greek life, parties, even flirting with a girl in class are all different forms of social networking. They not only give me moments of instant gratification, but provide me with qualities in life that I cannot pick up in the classroom (from the teacher). A true college education involves life outside of the classroom. A great example of this is Greek life. Not only did Greek life force me into a situation where I had to be accepting of the fact that I will be meeting new people, it has helped me follow up on these skills in the classroom and in the workforce. I believe I can learn a lot more in class if I feel comfortable raising my hand and asking questions or asking the random student next to me if they would like to form and out of class study group. Also at work I feel as if it is going to be a lot harder for my boss to fire me if he or she enjoys my presence because of the positive and personable vibe I give off.

Thus far, the rewards of social networking has affected me by getting me second job interviews, a substantial amount of friends and a enjoyable family relationship.

I believe the rewards of social networking not only affect my life, but also the people I encounter on a daily basis, and especially my future family. When I take my son to basketball practice, I want to feel comfortable engaging in a conversation with the other fathers and coaches, and as a result have that quality trickle down to my child. I want my wife to feel comfortable introducing her me to her family and co-workers without hesitating. In a sense, going to a party in college is similar to these situations, and therefore prepares you more. When I go to a social gathering in college I usually do meet new people and enjoy the practice of starting conversation and hope to make the person also enjoy their time spent with me.

With the rewards of social networking, I have enjoyed life thus far and look forward to using these rewards to my advantage. I believe the rest of the world would benefit in doing the same. The rewards of social networking not only help you succeed and get farther in life, but also puts that smile on your face that some would say defines happiness.