Physical Fitness: The Way to Happiness

Robert - san jose, California
Themes: sports

Have you ever had a day where your life is questioned due to change? Life is never very easy to analyze. And sometimes you wonder why certain things in your life happen the way they do. “You have to look at the good rather then the bad that comes out of a situation,” my mother would reply. That was a quote that my mother used to tell me when something in my life did not go the way I had planned. Losing soccer games, getting caught cheating, and not getting a homework assignment in on time are all examples of low points in my life. Many of us have experienced low points in our lives and sometimes it is after those low points that we are presented with a decision. Unfortunately my decision had to come during a new stage in my life, college.

Everything in my life was going according to plan. I was a first year at Cal Poly, having the time of my life. By joining a brotherhood and keeping up with my studies, I was definitely living the college dream. And then it happened. One sunny day at the end of spring quarter, my parents came to come visit my sister and me. I didn’t really understand why they would come and visit us but knew that it must have been something important. That was when I was told something I never thought I would hear on that sunny day alongside Pismo beach. My parents were getting a divorce. I guess I grew up always thinking that I would go to college, get married, and live with that person for the rest of my life. I had other friends whose parents got divorced, but I never thought my parents would do the same. I was speechless. Many emotions and feelings were flowing through my mind all at once. I didn’t really know how this would affect the simple lifestyle that I had grown accustomed to. After chatting with some friends who had gone through some of the same experiences, I knew that I needed to get involved with something that would help keep my mind off everything while still feeling great about myself. That is when I decided to try lifting weights.

When I was in high school, I definitely did not care how muscularly built I was. I was very slim and played a lot of sports, which didn’t demand much muscle mass. So I thought, why not give this a shot. After going to the gym where my father worked, I soon realized that I could feel good about myself while also letting out all of my emotions into something that wouldn’t be affected by it. By growing accustomed to working out everyday, eating healthier, and going to the gym, I thought less about the issues my parents were going through and thought more about how I could control the way I felt about myself and who I was as a person.

To this day working out and eating right has kept me happy and healthy. I learned that although I couldn’t control my parent’s divorce, I could control who I was and how I felt about myself. Every day lifting weights and running have helped me find time where family problems, school, and life in general are put on pause. For that one hour life is simple. That is why I believe that physical activity can be an excellent therapy when you encounter times of depression in your life.