Richard - Houston, Texas
Themes: equality

All Humans Are Equal

Even though the United States is a nation that provides equal opportunity, one group is being pushed away from their true potential of success. Past groups have been segregated starting with race, and even if we have tried to fix the specifics, general groups are ignored. They are a group that has been kept moderately quiet, but started speaking their voices with the first women’s rights convention in 1848. These actions of women are pushing towards the progress for equality and now humans all need to get together to achieve a community of greater equality. This development will make opportunities available for women and men to make opportunities equality present in order to succeed in life in any shape or form one pleases.

To see anyone struggle to make ends meet, especially someone close to me like my mother. She has taken care of me and we are the only two in the household and sometimes I do not understand how she pays for expenses. Everyday when she comes to KIPP to pick me up I ask her how her day is and I receive the typical response of “It was a hard and busy day.” Even though she says it with a smile I am skeptical on how her days really are. So with that thought in mind I ask her what her salary is and then I ask her how much her male coworker makes and he surprisingly makes more. Both of them have similar years of experience, and then I open my eyes and realize that she is being targeted because of her sex. After the car ride to my abode I start to ponder and realize that a single male is taking home a bigger paycheck while a single mother with more priorities at hand does not even make as much. This gives me an inspiration to repay my mother for all she has done for me. With women being paid less than a man, I am a passionate feminist until equality between both sexes is achieved.

The progress of women towards equality is a long and hard marathon that can not be achieved alone. So the cause needs to be pushed with caution to make everyone understand the motive for equality so as humans we can finish the marathon of the sexes. Even if one of the main inequalities of women is paycheck, it can affect every aspect on how women are treated. I believe that since women and men are both of the human species both deserve a chance to pursue their goals in life and are not to be limited by their sex.