Stephany - Inglewood, California

I have heard the story time and time again. My sister and her friend anxiously wait in the bathroom fretting the results of the test. Many thoughts rush through my sister’s head: how could she have been so irresponsible? How will she tell her boyfriend? The worst question is: How will she break the news to her parents? Finally the time comes to read the results. My sister has her friend take the first look and at the sight of her reaction she already knows what to expect. She begins crying as soon as she realizes the pregnancy test is positive. She dreads telling her boyfriend for fear of how he will react and little does she know she has the right to be worried. There she is, seventeen years old and pregnant with a boyfriend who wants nothing to do with the situation. She is alone and now she has to confess to the two people who matter most.

My parents were extremely upset, but they knew how scared my sister was and didn’t want to make matters worst. My mom explained her disappointment, but she wanted to help her daughter and promised to go to every appointment. My father, however, was less understanding. He couldn’t believe his baby was about to have a baby of her own. He was more upset at her ex-boyfriend and wanted to confront him and his family, but my sister didn’t let him. She was determined to handle it without him. She got a job at the local Carl’s Junior and even continued with her education. On February 6, 1995 her daughter Brianna was born, our new bundle of joy.

I was only five years old when she was born so I didn’t understand why my sister was always gone while my mom and grandmother took turns taking care of the baby. It turns out my sister was on the verge of not graduating so she stayed extra hours after school to get back on track. After that she would go straight to work in order to make money to buy diapers and all the other necessities of a newborn baby. Her hard work finally paid off and she was able to walk with her class in June. She worked very hard the rest of the summer and had to play the role of both mother and father. Her ex-boyfriend never bothered to come back into their lives, but once in a while his parents sent my sister money behind their son’s back. They knew it wasn’t much, but they wanted to do the right thing; after all, Brianna was their granddaughter. Although my sister’s life did not turn out as she expected it, she wouldn’t change it for the world.

Because of my sister’s story, I believe that mistakes can have a positive effect on our lives. Normally when we first make mistakes we are too preoccupied thinking about the consequences that we don’t have time to think about the good that could come out of the experience. My sister, for example, didn’t think of how much joy her new baby would bring her because she was too worried about the reaction of her parents. Once she dealt with the consequences she was able to learn from it and move on. From my sister I have learned to never give up, no matter how difficult something is. Being human, I have made my fair share of mistakes and have learned from them. I know that one day my experiences, the good and the bad, will change my life for the better.