Self Expression, and Individuality

Michelle - Auburn, Washington

When I was little, my mother always praised me on being different. Constantly telling me to be myself, because there will never be anyone else like me. I didn’t understand it then. Why would I, I was only a mere child. To me, everyone was just like little clones, climbing around on the jungle gym and running around playing tag in the park. I may not be much older than a child now, but I have grown in body and mind, enough to realize how correct my mom was. To this day and I’m sure for many more years, she still tells me how special of an individual I am. I believe this is true for everyone. Without self expression, in art, music, writing, acting, or anything of the sort there would not be as much variety in the world. And without that variety in people, I’m not sure how livable life would be.

To me, art has always been one of the most important aspects of my life. I’m in love with shapes and colors, and transforming ideas from my brain into some odd creation cemented onto paper or canvas. It’s a passion that could never be put into words. Some say it’s almost like finding your significant other. I feel even more for art, than I think I would when the day comes when I find that person. Human relations are not set in stone, but my creations are. They are mine, and always will be. Personally, drawing is my favorite way of expressing me. I feel as if no one’s opinions could possibly matter, because they’re my creations made just for me. It doesn’t matter if people love them or hate them because they’ll always be mine. I’ve been in many art classes over the years and am still learning. Art is something that can never be completely understood.

For the most part, I’ve always been good at art. Drawing, painting, music, graphic design and photography are my knacks, if you will, in art. But the main for me has always been drawing. I remember as a kid in elementary, my friends constantly had me doodling out little creatures for them. We would even have contests to see whose was better. I almost always won, and if I look back on those doodles today I can see so obviously how those were the stepping stones for my creations today. In fact, almost everything is the same, except more advanced. I’ve been in many contests, and have won a lot of them. I’ve also had a drawing of a shoe go to a museum. And to me, that’s incredible. I never really look at my art as something amazing. But to others, it’s spectacular. I suppose that way of thinking comes from modesty. I constantly compare my work to other artists that I look up to. (My favorites happen to be Tim Burton and Daniel Danger.) I figure it will help me advance, to become more like them. But I don’t realize that in my field, my work is very decent. I once had a friend tell me that. I doubted myself yet again, and he said “Well, in your area of talent, for your age, your work is amazing”. And I always tell myself that. But I will never let it get to my head.

I believe that expressing yourself is something you must do in life. Without expression, there could be nothing to pride yourself over, to keep you going. My art is what keeps me going because I know it means my future. I know to never hold back in my creations and that only my love for it matters. I don’t care what people think of it. I don’t care if I get famous. All I know is that it will always be mine, my talent that no one else has because it’s my way of being an individual. I’ll always be happy as long as I have my creativity.