Things Will Get Better

Kayla - Lexington, Kentucky

When it comes to life’s problems I have one simple philosophy: things are going to get worse before they get better. This may sound like a pessimistic view on things but it’s really not, it’s an easy way to prepare for the worst and know that there is better coming. Things had never really been […]

When it comes to life’s problems I have one simple philosophy: things are going to get worse before they get better. This may sound like a pessimistic view on things but it’s really not, it’s an easy way to prepare for the worst and know that there is better coming. Things had never really been good at home, my dad was a drunk, and my mom thought that she needed him. They were constantly fighting. They screamed, they yelled, they threw things. I avoided all this by hiding out in my room and once my sister was born I’d take her with me. To me this is just how your typical family worked.

My 7th grade year was when my philosophy started I was twelve and my sister was five. You know there’s silence before a storm well that’s kind of how this worked. All of a sudden the fighting stopped. The house was almost peaceful for a little while. Then my mom completely stopped doing everything. I had to take over I did the cooking; the cleaning and I took care of my sister. I was playing mommy because everyday mom came home and she would just lock herself in her bedroom. But things continued to go down hill.

Our car was repossessed, the cable and internet were turned off, and on a weekly basis, and I was calling my mom at work to remind her that she hadn’t paid something. She would call which ever company she had forgotten to pay and send them the money or get an extension and we got whatever we had lost back within two or three days. This process continued for a long time. But one day when I called her to remind her that the gas bill was due she didn’t get it cut back on because we owed too much and she couldn’t come up with the money. So, we had to live without heat or hot water for a year and a half. So for that time we had to use electric and kerosene heaters to keep the house warm during the winter. To take a bath I had to go boil water, put it in the bathtub and then add cold water to so that I could get in. Sometime while we were living like this I found out why things had gotten so bad. Both of my parents had become addicted to crack cocaine. My dad had been a druggie for sometime and had finally gotten my mom hooked.

It was a blessing in disguise, but my mom was caught and sent to drug court where she got clean. With all the debt we owned it still took a while for everything to get turned back on. My mom divorced my dad and she has now been clean for four years. This wasn’t a pleasant, experience but it got my sister and I really close it gave me and my mom a very open relationship, and it taught me that things will get worse before they get better but they will get better you just have to hold on until they do.