Jared - San Luis Obispo, California
Themes: family, purpose

There are some people who do not believe that they have a purpose in life. Then there are others who do believe in having a purpose. I am one who leans more with the latter group of believers. I believe there is a purpose for me on this world and through my life experiences I will find it. It helps to also have two great examples of how to find the best way of finding my purpose in life.

I have seen, through my eyes, two people of my own family take very different paths to where they are in life. One has definitely found his calling, and the other is still on his way to figuring out what his purpose is. My father, whom I admire very much, grew up in a house with four siblings and not the most money in the world to go around. He knew if I wanted to go to college and make it easy on his parents he would need help. He was able to get into the United States Coast Guard Academy and have all of his schooling paid for. Now some 30 odd years later, he still works for the Coast Guard as a civilian in a job I truly think he loves to go to everyday. He in my eyes found his calling in life.

By contrast, there is my older brother who is taking a little different path in life. My brother didn’t exactly know what he wanted to do in college, that lead to a few major changes and a school change. Once he graduated a few years ago, the job market spiraled out of control. So, he took on a few part-time jobs, but after a while, he actually looked at joining the military. He now is going to boot camp in a few weeks, after joining the Coast Guard, oddly enough. I know it was a very emotional decision for him, but he felt that it was really what he wanted to do for a living and help protect our country. I will now see in the next few years how that decision has affected him, and if he has found his calling as well or not.

The first thing that pops into my mind when I start to think about where I will be in the next ten years is, will I be at a job that I just fell into and don’t really like what I am doing. Or will I find my way on to a way of living that I pursued and is a passion of mine. I am not like my brother or father so I don not plan on joining the military. The next years of college and a few after that are going to be a very crucial time period in my life. Right now I am in school in a major that was not my top choice out of high school but, it looks like it has led me to actually a good thing. I am taking classes that involve dealing with finances and relating them to agricultural businesses, and have actually been very interesting to me and I think I would enjoy a job possibly in wine and viticulture. Much like my father’s experiences that ultimately led to his passion, I am confident that my experience at Cal Poly and beyond, will lead me to my own passion. I truly believe!