The Free Market

Jacob - Idaho Falls, Idaho

I believe in limited government. In today’s world, more and more people are becoming dependant on the government to take care of their basic needs such as food, homes, and healthcare. But why do they think it’s the government’s responsibility to coddle them and to interfere continually with private corporations? I believe that government interference is not only not beneficial, but in fact, detrimental to the economy of the country.

For years government has been trying to regulate certain aspects of the private business world such as equal opportunity employment, laws against price gouging, laws to “protect” the consumer. And then it tries to provide for its citizens. Such as healthcare. With our new president, universal healthcare might become a very real possibility, and I can’t see how it would be beneficial to anybody. From my research, I have found very few benefits, but a lot of disadvantages. People are saying that free healthcare is helpful to those people who can’t afford it. I say it’s not the government’s job to provide for it. And if free was so great and so helpful, then why don’t we have free food? Or gas? Why isn’t everything free? Food is more important than healthcare, so I propose that all the food is free too. It’s because when something is free, people take what they don’t need simply because it’s free.

Another example of a law where government tries to protect its citizens is equal rights. It used to be that a lot of bars would have nights where women could drink free at the bar until a certain time. Someone cried discrimination, and now it’s illegal. But why? Why does anybody really care? I don’t, and I don’t think anyone except for a handful of people do. Free drinks benefitted everybody. With free drinks, more women showed up than on any other night, and that meant that more men did too. Men liked it because instead of a 5:1 ratio, it was a 1:1 ratio. Women liked it because they got free drinks, and the bar owner liked it because he made more money on those nights.

The government has good intentions when they make these laws, but the truth is the economy works better when government has very limited involvement in what they do. I hope that someday, people will stop begging the government for all their needs, and the economy will prosper.