Even through bad, good things happen

Kaylsey - Holton, Kansas

When I was little I thought that everything was perfect and nothing could go wrong at all, but I was wrong. The first week of kindergarten I thought that it turned black. I got a phone call at school from my dad saying that my mom had been taking to the hospital by ambulance. When I heard those words “hospital” and “ambulance” I fell into tears and was scared to death. I was confused as to what would happen to my sister and I. Where would we go? Who would take care of us? But that is what family friends are for.

At first they thought my mom was just sick. But after continually going to the hospital they decided to do test to find out what was causing my mom to be so sick. When they got the test back that’s when they realized it was more serious than they thought it was. The test showed that she had cancer and it was deadly at that point. They went into surgery to try to remove the cancer. It was a successful surgery.

A few years later my mom went back to the hospital and was there for over a month. My dad ways always at her side and putting in extra hours of work. He would get up at five in the morning to go to work and come home midnight. At that point I thought our family was falling apart. My sister and I were always moving to different places. We would only see our dad about once or twice every week, and we would see our mom once every two weeks. I was scared, I was scared of what would happen to my sister and me, whether or not we would stay together or be separated from each other.

At that point I made a vow to protect my sister and for her to stay with me. After my mom came back from the hospital I thought that everything was going to be back to normal but it wasn’t; I was lost. My dad was still working and we couldn’t be around my mom. That’s when I realized my dad was working hard because of our medical bills. At that point I started to grow up. Taking care of things like the chores, helping my sister, and everything else that needed to be done. Everything changed at that point.

I was starting to get older and things weren’t getting any better. I noticed I was starting to blame god for my mom’s bad health. I even noticed I wasn’t going to church as often and then I started not going at all. A few years later when things turned for the worse I started praying to God again and going back to church more.

This I believe that know matter what happens there is always a way things will work out and in the end and that even through bad, good things will happen.