Growing Up

Kipp - Whiting, Kansas

From the day of birth to my teen years, life has been an adventure for me. Most families grow up together, parents knowing the kids, kids knowing the parents, everything goes good and they all do family events. I figured out that a family is like a puzzle. It has to have all the pieces to make the picture. Still there are always families that have missing pieces to it, and mine was one.

From the day I was born my real father hasn’t been in my life for me. When I was born and my father found out that I was his, he relinquished his rights to me. This meant he didn’t want anything to do with me. So here I was just this little boy that only had a mother to teach me everything in life that I needed to know. When I was born I also had some problems wrong with my feet and legs. The doctors told my mom that the bottoms of my feet were grown together. It was either I have surgery or never walk. Of course, my mom chose for me to have surgery, which didn’t work out at first. I saw four different doctors and the first three did the same and nothing worked. Finally, I was taken to the Shriners and they reformed my feet and I was good to go.

Here I was growing up and learning how to walk and do all these great things as a little kid and my dad wasn’t there to watch me. I got a little bike for my third birthday. I remember my great grandma taught me how to ride it. I remember staying with my grandparents for a while and they taught me discipline, crafts, and best of all, gave me sweets. But, my mom has taught me the most and I could never thank her enough for how good she has raised me and how she has always been there for me.

I’m sixteen now, play sports, have two jobs, and I’m happy everyday of my life. I have two little brothers and a step dad. It’s still like putting a puzzle together and not having that one piece, so I found a different piece from another puzzle to replace the gap. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t.

This I believe – to have a good life, always think positively and live every day to the fullest. That one piece will show up. Like the puzzle, if you look hard enough you will find the piece to fill in the gap.