Words can Hurt

Chance - Holton, Kansas

This I believe, don’t make fun of people because they’re different, instead embrace them as people in general.

When I was younger, I was made fun of constantly because I was overweight. My mom got so worried that I had to start seeing the school counselor weekly. So I guess my dad heard about it somehow and I actually had a workout I had to do every day. But when the work out didn’t help much I got depressed and started eating more and more.

Later in my life people started seeing me as the little fat kid. When you’re a chunky kid that loves sports but isn’t very good at them it’s a horrible feeling to have people rub that in your face.

My weakness when I was young was that I let peoples words get to me, and I believed what they said about me. They said what I thought was horrible things about me, but I couldn’t stop them because they were bigger and stronger than me. So basically I went through four years of my life being told I was a fat nobody and I wouldn’t ever be important.

The feeling of being un-important and being told your not good enough could have some major effects on kids. I’ve heard examples of kids committing suicide and even murdering the people that made fun of them. I’m sure almost any person that has ever been made fun of has had horrible thoughts about the people that have bullied them.

I think that I’m one of the lucky kids to have not gotten big enough to where I couldn’t lose weight. But eventually I got bigger and I got older and so I could finally do sports, which helped me lose the weight. I hit a growth spurt in seventh grade and helped me do better in sports, which boosted my confidence and made me want to lose all the fat.

Now that I’ve matured as a person as in a physical way, I’m ok with people making fun of me because I know that I’ve endured worse. Unless that person is really threatening my life or someone else’s life, I’m entirely ok with them messing with me. Now that I’ve matured in a physical way I can take my anger out in a positive way like in sports, or in competitions at school.

Don’t make fun of people because they’re different, this I believe.