The Power of Inner Strength

Jaycee - Holton, Kansas

I believe that people have the power of inner strength and that is something that keeps them going even when things get bad, and those are the people I look up to the most.

One of those people who has inner strength is my mom. Life has not been to good to us, but she still holds her head high and acts as if life is as perfect as it ever has been. We have been struck with hard times since the economy has been bad, and my mom doesn’t know what to do. I hear my parents talking about the future and what is going to happen once the economy gets even worse; and I can do nothing but worry about everything and especially for my mom.

I am in a large family—a family of five kids and two parents even though one of them is only a stepparent and a stepsibling. There is still a lot for my mom to have to deal with between our schooling, my track, my two little sister’s dance, and my little brothers trouble-making self. I have always wondered how she has the strength to do all of this for us and not even care about herself and put us before herself. I later realize my mom is one of the few people who has the power of inner strength and that is what keeps her as strong as she is throughout all these hard times.

Between juggling five kids, a full-time job, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of every trip my siblings and I need to take, my mom rarely has any time for herself and she doesn’t even care just as long and our family is a happy one. My mom is one of the strongest people I know because she has the strength to get up every morning and load up the kids and haul them to wherever they need to go, with not even a thank you. She does all the small things that we tend to overlook and she doesn’t even get thanked for it.

My mom works really hard so that my siblings and I can do and have what we want, and she does it all without even being asked. Even though we may not have a lot of money, my mom still does what she can to make us happy and she does it all with a smile on her face. She is the strongest person I know…she has the power of inner strength.

I love my mom to death, and I love her because she has the power that many people wish they had, she has the power to keep burning bright, she has the power of inner strength…this I believe.

Jaycee Wells