You Can Do Anything If You Just Believe

Macy - Denison, Kansas

Growing up I was never usually in the “in” crowd. I wasn’t good at a lot of things. I was never really confident. I didn’t believe in myself. After the tragedy of my grandma, I learned that if you just believe in yourself you can do almost anything.

In November of 2008 my grandma became very ill. I didn’t really think much of it because she had been really sick before. I just looked at it like it wasn’t really that big of a deal. I just thought that she would go to the doctor, they would give her some medicine, and she would get better soon. After a while, that didn’t seem to be the case. She started to not see as well as she used to, she couldn’t walk that well and had to start using a cane, she was not breathing as well and it was just one thing and then another. She was constantly going back to the doctor for test after test to try and figure out what the problem was. It seemed like nothing was working and that nothing was being found.

It was now October. She was still just getting worse as time went on. My grandpa and she had finally decided that they were going to go back to Chicago to see her other doctors there because they weren’t finding anything out here. When I heard that they were leaving I was kind of worried because I knew that things weren’t going very well, but I had faith. I knew that she was a fighter and that she could make it through. They had been down in Chicago for about a week or so and I hadn’t really heard anything bad so I thought well maybe I was right. If I just have faith things will get better. I ended up getting to finally talk to my grandma while they were down in Chicago, but I had realized that she was having trouble remembering things. This really scared me. I started to lose my faith and didn’t believe in the doctors or really anything anymore. So as time went on she just kept on getting worse and worse. My mom and her brother and sister finally decided that they were going to go down to Chicago to be with her because they didn’t know really what was going to end up happening. I am really glad that they decided to go down there because things didn’t turn out so well. She died later that week from a liver problem and pneumonia in both of her lungs.

Later the next day they all came home. My dad, sister, and I all went over to help them get stuff unloaded and to pick up my mom. It was a really hard night for everyone because we all were not for sure what we were going to do. Before we knew it, it was the day of the funeral and it was a really hard day for everyone. But as I sat there and listened to the stories and the things that were said I was like, “Wow, my grandma was a really awesome person! She always put other people first and she was always a strong believer in God. She never gave up and always would do things she put her mind to. All she did was have faith and just believe.” Thinking of all of these things about my grandma made me realize something that I really believe in. I believe that no matter what the situation, if you put your mind to it, you believe in yourself and you believe in God then you can do pretty much anything!