I Believe in Independent Women

Terrel - Hoyt, Kansas
Themes: death, family, illness

When I was only three my parents stop seeing each other. Me and my three brothers Terrance, Vernell, and Chris stayed with our mother. I was the third child and the third child wasn’t very easy to be, because my older brothers would always pick on me.

My mom raised us by herself. There are not many women that raised their children without the dad. My mom went to work everyday and made sure every one of us was ready for school that morning. As I got older my oldest brother moved out in an apartment with his girlfriend. After that my mom started working two jobs, but she didn’t have the second job for that long.

For Christmas, I know it was hard for my mom, but me and my brothers still got what we wanted. My mom was a kind person, she would cook a meal and if anybody who was outside in the neighborhood was hungry, she would make sure they had something to eat. After school everyone in the neighborhood always wanted to come over to our house, because we had a lot of stuff they didn’t and we had a single mom.

When I was in fourth grade, my mom when to the doctor and had a check up and she found out that she had cancer. While my mom was fighting cancer my aunt moved in our house to make sure we was fade and to watch us, because my mom wasn’t able to live with us. She had to stay at the hospital for about four months. Soon my mom came home and every time I looked at her I knew she was very sick. Six months later my mom had to go back to the doctor and the doctor told her she had two weeks to live.

Three months later my mom still was living. On June 4, 2003 my mom died of cancer. It’s kind of hard to get over my mom’s death, but God took her away for a reason, so I have to move on. I believe in independent women.