We all make mistakes

Ryann - Holton, Kansas

I love when my mom tells me stories about the past. Back in the day. I asked how her life was and how she met dad, what car she drove, who were her best friends. I wanted to know how her life was. When she answered all my questions, it sounded like she had a perfect childhood. Until she told me answers to questions I hadn’t asked yet.

My mom was telling me about her family. I was at the age where I didn’t know what step and half meant. She told me that Uncle Brent was her only real, full blood brother, that my Aunt Jeanette, Aunt Tina, and Aunt Sarah were all her half sisters, that my Grandpa Dick was her step dad. I didn’t know what she was really talking about, or what she meant.

I got older, I understood a lot more, and I asked those kinds of questions. I asked how she and Aunt Sarah were related, because I knew Sarah had a different mom. She told me that my grandpa was married to Sherry, which is Sarah’s mom. Mom told me that Sherry and Grandpa weren’t married for that long, because Sherry had major problems. Well mom, what kind of problems did she have?

Sherry was a drug addict, and an alcoholic. My mom and her siblings had to go to alateen, a type of therapy for kids of parents that have alcohol or drug addictions. Sherry and my grandpa both had to attend the session for the adults, or the parents. It was embarrassing for my mom to admit to friends that she had to attend therapy because of her step-mom, she was embarrassed to tell her friends that her step mom was an alcoholic and drug addict. She didn’t have any friends over because she was embarrassed to have them see how her home life was.

Ever since that experience, my mom hasn’t tried any type of drug, she doesn’t like to go out with friends and drink a lot. She learned from her step-moms mistakes. I believe that you learn from others mistakes.