Elizabeth - Leawood, Kansas

As I was babysitting tonight, I thought 7-year-old Elle was deserving of a “late night brownie”. I quietly walked upstairs and found her still lying awake. As I motioned to her to come with me, her eyes opened wide. I personally had had a rough day, but thought this would make her realize she outshined her sisters tonight. As she ate the freshly baked brownies, she smiled nonstop. Before I knew it, we were both giggling as pieces of the brownie accidentally fell on the floor. From that point on, all we had to do was look at each other and we’d start laughing. I was 18 and she was only seven, yet she had the ability to cheer me up. This is why I believe in laughing.

Laughter can turn a negative situation into a positive one. It can lighten up a moment or strengthen a bond between two people. Laughing creates inside jokes, which in turn, makes its possible to recall a memory in seconds. Inside jokes are a great way to put someone in a better mood. They allow you to look at someone and just start laughing.

I believe anyone can laugh with someone. Laughter may occur for no reason (like with Elle), because something funny happened, or if a joke was told. I have never once laughed and felt worse. I think people sometimes don’t notice how laughing improves their mood. In many cases, laughter is contagious. I often find myself amused just because someone else’s laugh is making me laugh!

One of the best feelings in the world is laughing so hard you cry or having to grab your abs because they hurt so bad. It makes me laugh when people are telling a story and they can’t finish because they think it is so funny. Next time someone laughs around you, make sure to let out a little chuckle. I promise you’ll feel immediately better.