This I Believe: The Circle of Change

Neal - Houston, Texas
Themes: change

Everything in the world is ephemeral, and it is ludicrous for us to ask the world to be any different. Of course, though, consider it exponentially more absurd to not appreciate and cherish that which we have while it is here. Yet, the inevitable is often spontaneous and this paradox leads to the ironic conclusion that the only true constant is change. A corrupt little circle we have created isn’t it?

Allow me to think; change has multiple confound effects on the human mind. The fearful and pessimistic cower to it because they believe our world is slowly descending into oblivion. The optimistic and buoyant of spirit embrace the thought of its ideal in hopes that our world will be freed from the deplorable disposition we have ensued. The undaunted stand, expectant, happily accepting the challenge of creating balance from it all.

As time progresses, myriad of memoirs have narrated tribulations; overcome not by those who are only optimistic, pessimistic, or dauntless, but instead by those who are willing to adjust their rationale to their situations; insisting that only we possess power over the change in our lives. The only plausible reasoning is that things do not change; no, it is quite the contrary, we change.

Even as we have grown, we have not undergone extreme changes; rather, we have assumed a clarified, polished, form of who we truly are. Upon the provocation of a transition we may, of our polished selves, identify a blemish. This small push, small change in our own thoughts of ourselves, befalls not just minor adjustments in ourselves or miniscule changes of our lives, but, a complete metamorphosis in the dynamics of our thinking. Of the question of how we, not only I, could best affect change, the most candid response was uttered by Norman Vincent Peale, “Change your thoughts and you change your world”.