Blake’s Life, Blake’s Values

Blake - lakewood, California

Blake’s Life, Blake’s Values

Growing up my life was kind of rough. When I was 2 years old my parents where divorced. At Five years old my father stopped coming to pick me up to take me to the zoo, which was tradition every other weekend since my parents divorce. I have not seen or spoke to my father since he started his new family. This hasn’t bothered me much because my mother has always been there for me. In 1987 though, at five years old when my mother could not be there for me, due to her suffering from an aneurysm that left her paralyzed on her left side, my beautiful loving grandmother took care of me.

During this time my mother was in rehab learning to walk and talk again. So for a year I had the insight of my grandmother and, her boyfriend at the time. When my mother came out of rehab, she was able to walk and talk again. The permanent damage she suffered was the loss of her peripheral vision in her left eye, migraines that she would have to visit the ER for, epilepsy that is controlled my medication and slight memory loss.

After getting out of rehab my mother ended up with a controlling, verbally abusive man who disgusts me. While my mother was dating this guy we moved 4 times in the span of a 2 years. During this time I attended three different schools, its not easy making friends. When the drama came to an end with the pig, I was nine, we moved again and once more schools in Long Beach.

This was a good time we where living in a nice place, my mom had landed a great job and I made friends with the next-door neighbor, those two years of my life where great. It wasn’t until my mother met another man when I was eleven, she decides it’s a good idea to move to Reno NV with him. We ended up in a nice house in the suburbs and I had a new school and friends to make once again.

The time in Reno was okay until my mother acquired a gambling problem. I remember being home alone a lot. Mom’s boyfriend was a truck driver, gone for weeks at a time, and my mother was at the casino. At twelve, I was sent to live in Oregon with my mother’s boyfriend’s brother due to money issues, Mom and her boyfriend stayed in Reno. Yes, once again new school new friends. It was weird at first, a little culture shock. The first friend I made was a Longhorn bull that was on the neighbor’s property. Every day he would come to the fence and I would feed it apples. Moms’ boyfriends’ brother had a kid my age and slowly we became friends, I was a city boy and he was a country boy. Also I made some great friends at school. Well after being in there for six months my mother came to Oregon pick me up from school, a surprise visit in the middle of class. My mom had broke up with her boyfriend and she was picking me up to take me back to Reno. We moved to an apartment on the other side of town, new school new friends.

When I was fourteen we moved back to Long Beach. When we gat back we stayed at friends houses till we could get a place of our own. Mom got another job, and we moved into another apartment. I attended eighth grade thru ninth at the same school although we moved three more times during this period. In ninth grade I was transferred to a continuation school for being a class clown. My mother had met another man who she met while working at her new job; he was different than the others. He was a millionaire who owned a national roofing company, also married, and an alcoholic. Mom quit her job and started to travel with him. Once again home alone most of the time. While mom’s boyfriend was going thru his divorce we moved to another house. When the divorce was over I was eighteen.

When I was nineteen my mother and her boyfriend bought a house in Texas, I was invited to go but there was no way. My grandmother who I was very close with was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was the only one to take care of my grandmother with my mom leaving to Texas. With my mom gone, and the rest of my grandmothers children either locked up or on drugs, I had to step up to the plate.

I got my own place and I was working as a DJ at the time. I took my grandmother to all of her doctor’s appointments, grocery shopped, and whatever else she needed. When the cancer worsened I was staying at her apartment most of the time to take care of her. As it progressed my mom paid for a caretaker to help me. My grandmother passed one month before her 67th birthday when I was twenty-two.

I’m twenty-six know. I am a medic in the Air Force reserves; I work as an EMT, and I’m full time student pursuing a degree as a Physicians Assistant. My grandmother was my life until she passed, and now I am making my own.

I briefly described my life because to me it is anything but normal. My life has made me into the person I am today. All the values I have came from this life I’m living. I am going to be the best father in the world, nothing like my own. My family will have traditions; unlike the only one I knew that my father ended. I know exactly how not to treat a lady thanks to mom’s first boyfriend after rehab. I will do everything in my power to keep my children from moving around. I have not and will not use drugs because I have seen the monsters that they create. I have the best friends because I know the value of friendship. I try to plan for the future by making decisions that I won’t regret; I learned this through my mother. My mom realizes that she has made mistakes, men she’s dated, things in my childhood, her moving to Texas while her mother was ill, and I’m sure many others. I love my mother she’s still learning, as am I the values that we take from life. I believe Life is a learning experience, and my life has sculpted me into and will continue to make me the individual I am today. If you never felt bad, how would you know what good felt like? This I Believe…