My Gut Feeling

Joshua - Irvine, California

Making decisions today is very difficult. With the numerous choices that we are faced with each day, I feel that we as Americans have become a nation of indecisive people. Thus, I believe in my gut feelings. My gut instinct has guided me through many decisions that I have made throughout my life, dealing with decisions important and mundane. Although, these decisions I have made using just my instincts have not always worked out for the best, it has still, for the most part, worked out for me.

I guess the best way to begin would be to explain how I came to this belief which all started from growing up in my hometown of Irvine. In high school, every Friday night would start out the same. We sat at Eric’s house debating what we will do to entertain ourselves. Then the process continued with everyone thinking and never coming up with any ideas. This was not a onetime occurrence and repeated virtually every weekend throughout most of high school. It wasn’t until later on that I realized that the issue was not that in Irvine there is nothing to do, although there is some truth to that statement. But I soon realized that I was so caught up in thinking of the perfect Friday night activity that I ignored my gut on what I may want to do. Slowly but surely I started adapting to this new way of thinking as I was always the first to voice my opinion on our Friday night shenanigans. Now I will not say that this listening to your instinct business was always the best thing to do as I did occasionally get in a little trouble for trusting my gut and not thinking things through; but I felt what I was doing was great and that’s what mattered.

Using your gut for trivial matters such as instantly deciding on what to do only show part of the story on why I believe it is so important to listen to your instincts. Dealing with matters of actual substance and importance in life is where I found the most profound impact. In my senior year of high school I faced one of the hardest challenges in my life thus far; it was dealing with my mom’s diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer. Looking back I see that using my gut feeling helped me overwhelmingly deal with realizing the true mortality of my mother. The normal approach would be to burden the mind with large amounts of questions and fears; however, I looked to my first reaction when I first heard my dad tell me the news at the hospital. My gut told me that this is a situation I couldn’t control and living my life to the fullest and enjoying whatever time I may have with my mother is the best course of action; and that is exactly what I did. My instant reaction to this situation helped me get through the roller coaster that would be my life for the next year. Thankfully, it all worked out.

My gut instinct has told me a lot of things so far in my life, and it will continue to do so as I am continuously faced with decisions both of varying importance and significance. I will continue to live by my belief in my gut. Now I have one question for you the reader. After reading what I believe what does your gut tell you?