I believe that what does not kill you makes you stronger

Hillary - waynesboro, Virginia

Those who overcome hardships learn to survive as stronger people. Take a time suffered through that had you feeling unsure as to if you would survive. Realize that you did endure the challenge and also obtain strength. Strength is a reward that cannot be given and learned through experience. Difficult times at home, a death, a friend in a crisis or relationship problems. The more challenging issues endured in life, the stronger one must become. This story proves that strength is simply the only imagined result possible. I believe that what does not kill us makes us stronger.

Imagine a five year old lying on the bottom bunk underneath her older brother awakening to every slight noise in fear that it may be your father. This five year old little girl had the distress of whether her mother or brother was to be the punching bag for her father that night. These children were burdened with hearing their mother’s cries in the next room and seeing the bruises on her face the next day. The horrific memories lived on for years. The mother eventually was able to remove them from the situation. She became a nurse and established a tight nit home for the three. The family could relax after years of constant fear. What did not kill them, made them stronger.

The girl grew despising the man who haunted her dreams and wished many times for his death. Her wish was eventually granted. A family friend brought a rather bitter sweet message. The man that they called dad had been shot and killed. A week beforehand the girl remembered seeing her dad and then wiping off his kisses after leaving. Although the man had caused such heartache for the family, he was still their father. The three were left with grief, wonders and even guilt. The shocking death did not kill them, it made them stronger.

Throughout the life and death of their dad, the family found an amazing bond. The strong and smart mom was an angel in their eyes. As if the three had not endured enough, the mother had been injured in a car accident. The wreck left her with a brain injury. They physically had their mom, but were mentally left with a stranger. They taught her to walk and talk again, as if she were a child. Now in many ways they had lost their mom too. This did not kill them, it too made them stronger.

The two siblings were best friends. Some said, “What would they do without each other?” They talked everyday and confided in one another. Expecting a call from her brother, the girl received a call from her mom instead. The girl’s mother was belting out sobs of sadness. The girl had now lost her big brother; he died at the young age of 31 in his sleep.

This is my story, I am the girl, this has not killed me and I am stronger.