Acts of Kindness

Bryanna - Glendale, California

Acts of Kindness

There is no generic cure for unhappiness or misery, but an act of kindness, I believe, is the most helpful remedy. Because of this potential power, I believe in regularly doing genuine acts of kindness for others.

A couple of years ago I was having an absolutely miserable day. Murphy’s Law seemed to be in control and anything that could go wrong somehow did. Everything happened from having an unexpected math quiz to having a bird go to the bathroom on my arm. I felt like I was living a day from Hell, or at least a day from a teen movie. Finally the 3 o’clock bell rang, school was over, and I was free to go home; there was nothing at that point that I wanted more than the comfortable retreat of my bed and a nice long nap to hopefully erase the day’s supposed curse.

As I walked to my car, I noticed a small piece of paper blowing underneath my windshield wiper. When I arrived at my car I pulled the paper out from under my wiper and read to myself, “I noticed you were having a bad day. Look on your left back tire. I hope tomorrow is better!” As I walked to find the mysterious gift, I looked around for the anonymous author but to no success. On my tire, in the shade of my tire casing, was a wrapped white chocolate macadamia nut cookie from our cafeteria- my absolute favorite indulgence treat. I grabbed the cookie and sat down in my driver’s seat. As I held the soft cookie and folded note in my hands, happiness and flattery replaced my distress and sadness. The fact that someone had thought to give me a treat in order to better my day completely erased the fact that I had spent the past seven hours counting down the minutes until my day would be over.

That small $2.00 cafeteria cookie, that anonymous act of kindness, taught me a life-altering lesson. From that cookie I learned the potential influence that kindness has on emotions. On that day, I promised myself that I would try to pass on my newly learned lesson by doing sincere and kind acts for others as often as possible. If I notice someone is having an awful day, I try to think about the one thing that would make him or her a little happier. Sometimes this means a funny flashback story, sometimes it means a dozen homemade treats, and sometimes it means an embracing hug. Whatever the act, whatever the size, whatever the form, kindness has proven itself to be a temporary cure for its recipient’s troubles. I believe that if we all did acts of kindness for one another, our sometimes miserable and difficult lives would be a little bit more enjoyable.