I Believe

Olivia - Houston, Texas

I believe an individual has the ability to be anything he or she wants to. Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary defines ability as, “power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally, morally, financially, etc.” From this definition, I am reminded of a quote by Gandhi that charged individuals to “Be the change [they] want to see in the world.” My personal goals and dreams are fueled by a world open to discovery and understanding. I am also intrigued by the societal and political influences on healthcare around the world. I am confident that I will make a difference in the health field during my lifetime. This fact is coupled with my thirst for knowledge and will allow me to become the change that I envision for the future of this world.

In today’s society whether one is Latino, Asian, White non-Hispanic or of African American descent, opportunities are granted everywhere, but they are waiting to be grabbed. My career goal is to become a medical researcher and be able to discover cures and vaccines for life threatening diseases. I plan to save thousands of lives, both abroad and throughout the United States. I aim to foster the well-being of individuals, families, and communities through education, prevention, and empowerment. I believe I will find a cure to a life threatening diseases that may be devastating both to the United States and developing countries abroad.

As an undergraduate, my main goal is to take advantage of the hands-on experiences available for the career I foresee. I intend to major in Human Biology, Health and Society because I want to learn ways to educate individuals on how to lead healthy lifestyles and reduce the risk of diseases throughout the world. I plan to focus on biology not only from the biological and physical aspects but also social, psychological, political and economic. The ability, responsibility and clout to promote health awareness, conduct research and improve health conditions around the world all have excited me since my childhood. I believe I can make a difference in the healthcare world.