The Necessity of Self-interest

Harold - HOUSTON, Texas
Themes: humanism

I strongly believe in the idea that human society is fueled by the primal nature of humans. The instinct instilled in every human in order to survive allows society to thrive based on self interest and desires. One would argue that many people often help others out of selflessness when in reality they have their own interest involved. Whether your interest is to make money, to make friends, to survive, or to feel good about yourself, it is what fuels society. The main reason for this belief is that should one work entirely in the interest of another being, the worker would perish without any gains from his or her actions. Evidence to support this claim is prevalent throughout human society.

This is obvious in society as well as every marketing plan including helping the developing world or helping those less fortunate; one has to purchase the product advertised. Those marketing companies may state or believe that their interest is in those receiving aid, but in reality it is in their self interest to sell such a product and earn profits. Even individuals who help others at shelters and food lines; they feel an obligation to help, perhaps in order to feel a certain way about themselves or to repent out of the past. The self interest in life is less obvious in this subject of life, but it exists and drives these projects.

The idea of self interest exists more obviously in the business and work sector. People will compete in order to survive and in self interest for the improvement of the quality of life. Those who make public donations in the business world often seek attention for their company with benefits unseen by the public eye. The whole society runs on the idea that working hard or in self interest will yield rewards in life. Without this will of human nature, the business market will collapse and the economy will not function.

The desire and will to survive lasts within societies past and present. Throughout history, people have fought hard to survive in the wild jungles of the world. In the present day, we fight in the concrete jungle to survive in society, operating constantly in self interest, even in charity. Though this belief sounds deprecating of human society, I do not condemn it but accept it as a fact of life. It is a part of our lives that we cannot change and should not for good reason. Life will continue to function in this sense forever in a free society, thus will lead to a healthy economic and social state.