Social Standards, the Foundation of Standardization

Armando - Houston, Texas

Individuals are often labeled as typical and atypical which is the result of certain preset social standards set forth by society. Preset standards whose foundations are established by the media, and enforced by the general public, which results in labeling of individuals, hence the segregation of society. We shall now discuss the hardships that arise and that will arise if we continue to nurture such standards.

When an individual does not stay within the domain of what society defines as normal, they are often labeled as abnormal. Such is the case of certain musicians, who are labeled due to their explicit lyrical content, their sporadic apparel, or their physical manifestation, resulting in the memorandum of their lyrical content, often exploiting social injustices; to be misconstrued. If one were to set aside their judgmental mentality and familiarize oneself with the individuals’ background, one would realize that many of these individuals were raised in impractical environments, where many of the social issues they speak of were and still are an issue in everyday living. Hence the artists attempt to increase the awareness of such issues through the lyrical content of their music, which many times is not accepted by certain groups, resulting in their classification as abnormal. This classification is brought upon the artist by the media’s decision to exploit the artists’ flaws and the general public’s decision to degrade them for their flaws. Being that mishaps are inevitable in the human species, hypocrisy is occurring when a significant portion of the population places a label upon others for their mistakes. When analyzed a celebrities’ life is exploited due to their popularity or unpopularity with the masses, which is often determined by the media. If one analyzes the policies of the education system and the professional field, one will come to the realization that many of these policies emphasize open mindedness, hence one would expect the media, an organization having a significant influence on society, to also abide by these policies, which is not the case.

Often, society labels individuals based on preset standards, by doing so society only causes the individuals to isolate themselves further, hence society decides who is labeled as normal and who is not, which not only contradicts many policies that are instilled in the youth and the professional world, but brings hardships upon individuals. For this reason such standards should be abolished, a process with starts with oneself learning to accept others for who they are. For if we continue to allow such labeling of individuals we are encouraging social segregation, a modern day racism no longer based on the color of one’s skin, but by ones personal choices, which are the foundation of one’s individuality, which will result in total abolishment of individuality, and the foundation of a uniform society.