Hannah - Houston, Texas

High school, college, career, marriage, a typical idea of a normal life. But what happens to those who have a not so normal life? Fate is not just a superstition and can work wonders for the average person. If it crosses your path, it’s not an accident.

In 1975, my dad Dean, and his beautiful girlfriend at the time, Dana were an unbreakable couple. Dean was a junior and Dana was a sophomore in high school in the crescent city of New Orleans. They had been dating for two years and were each other‘s first love. They were the ultimate image of high school sweethearts, they were inseparable. Until, Dean left for college in the fall of 1976. They tried to continue their relationship that first semester, but things just got too complicated. Rumors were flying about Dean, from Hammond all the way home to New Orleans. Rumors that are still not settled till this day. So, like any normal 18 year old girl, Dana left him in the dust. They both went on to get married later in the 1980’s, and also had loving children of their own. Dana married ; had a child and was separated from her husband before Dean married in 1987, and Dana’s daughter Sarah was introduced to Dean at the age of three and was a friendly face until she was six. Now, the 1990’s have gone by and Dean has two children also, and a loving wife. He hasn’t seen Dana since 1987, but pictures and letters were still exchanged until 1993. Skipping ahead a few years, both ended up divorcing and never really communicated until 2008. Facebook of all things is where things picked up again. My dad knew I had one and was curious about how it worked. So, he made his own account one day and decided to search for his old flame, Dana. However, Dana didn’t show up in the search toolbar, her twenty six year old daughter Sarah did. He sent Sarah a message asking her if she remembered him and that he wanted to get into touch with her mom because they had lost contact over the years. Sarah remembered Dean and quickly delivered the message to her mom. As you might have guessed, fate took its coarse, and within a week of talking for hours every night, for the first time in 21 years they reunited. Dean jumped on a plane to Orlando, the first of many, and they have been perfectly happy ever since Dana made the phone call to Dean after a simple Facebook message.

Who would’ve thought through all the rough times in life that the once happy couple who went separate ways in high school is now back together? This really is a touching story and I’m inspired to take the path that is right in front of me because it is leading to the future that is right for me; This I believe in fate, I hope now you do too.