Alton - Houston, Texas

“Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’.” A week before my mother found out that she was pregnant with me she was told the devastating news that her godmother with whom she had spent a tremendous amount of time with had been diagnosed with breast cancer and that her survival chances were slim. In addition, my mother’s godmother had found out that she too was pregnant and she was determined to keep her baby to my mother on the other hand was not as sure and contemplated an abortion. However her godmother endured a miscarriage convinced my mother to consider her decision before deciding about her pregnancy and luckily she decided to keep the baby. Sadly, only hours after I was born my mother’s godmother lost her battle with cancer. Having something horrible happen devastated my mother but at the same time made my mother appreciate her godmother’s legacy and advice that much more. My mother now considers me to be her blessing from her godmother. Although I have no recollection of this, the situation stays with me everyday because I realize how precious life is and how we should not live with any regret with our actions but instead move on and deal with the consequences positive or negative. Another defining example of why I believe what I do is the fact that as the older I have become the more I have evaluated the relationships I have been involved. The relationship I have reviewed the most is the one with my father mostly in part to the fact that for the greater part of my life I have questioned his decisions and because of that distanced myself from him. After years of watching my mother struggle raising me and my sister a part of me unconsciously blamed my father however when my mother made a way for herself and her luck along with me and my sister’s I realized how juvenile my resentment had been . I saw how with the close of their relationship had opened the door for my mother to pursue a career and this allowed me to see a chance for the door with my father to open and to get insight into his decisions and enable me to understand how to be a man that I approved. The doors to life open and close everyday and unfortunately some of us miss our opening and only see them as closed. I believe to understand the close you have to believe in the opening