Native names- This I believe

Livina - Houston, Texas

Native names classify who or what we are. They are a part of us that make us unique. They are a beautiful thing to possess and cherish. They are something that has been in our generation and our race for centuries and will prolong for more centuries to come. So this is the question. If native names are such sacred things, why do some of us choose to make fun of it, to laugh at names that mean something precious to the rest of us?

When I was in middle school the office would call me down from my class. I was always introverted whenever they called my name because the kids always laughed and said, “What kind of name is Anyiam?” Now don’t get me wrong, I am not ashamed of my name. I have no reason to be ashamed of a name I am proud to have, a name that symbolizes who and what I stand for, a name that means something to me, my family, and my generation. So the question still remains, “Why do some of us make fun of sacred things they know nothing about?” It might be because they have no culture of their own. Even so, you shouldn’t make fun of something you have no clue as to what it means. For instance, the name Onyiyechi, my sister’s name, means God’s gift, Chisom means God’s with me, Chidmma means God is good, and Ogechi means God’s time. Would those people who laughed at my name the last time laugh now after learning and understanding what all these names mean? I personally do not think so. But if they do laugh, if they seriously laugh after telling them what they mean, then that proves how much of a fool they are to laugh at God and his creation. How much of a fool they are to laugh at my generation and heritage, for creating or using those names.

Since the fourteen years of my existence, I have heard all sorts of names. Some sounded bizarre and others interesting. Names might sound eccentric to you, but always keep in mind that there is a meaning behind that name. The saying, “Think before you act,” is not an understatement. Before you laugh at a name, it is essential to ascertain what it means. To some people laughing at their name or someone else’s name makes them gawk at you like a nincompoop. As life goes on, you will detect that native names are precious and consecrated to too many people from different backgrounds or countries that needs to be respected.

Names delineate who or what you are. Names make everyone of us disparate from the rest of humanity. Native names are something that should be treated with veneration. Names are not something that should be ridiculed and made fun of. Treat people’s names with respect for you do not know the insinuation behind them.