Xingkai - Houston, Texas

I remember it like a scary dream. I was a simple pedestrian, crossing a neighborhood road. A car in the distance drove down the crisp cement. The driver of the car was a mysterious man. We exchanged stares as I walked across. At that moment, it was like time had stopped, and it was like he gave me an evil glare. However, in a glimpse, I was on the ground, in devastation, my body numb. I thought about family, friends, and things I still wanted to do. Then, paralyzed, I was incapable of thought. A random stranger ran out of her house with a blanket and helped me on the street. This would lead to the greatest journey of my life. The lady that came out didn’t say a word, she knew what she had to do, and it was like she had an instinct to help me. She took out a phone and dialed the numbers I thought I would never have to dial. 911. Within minutes, the ambulance arrived and the people got me onto a stretcher and gave me what seemed like a barrier to my life and freedom, an oxygen mask. The journey into the hospital was even more unbearable. I felt like a monster, and people treated me like so, like I wasn’t like them. My mutation took place in a matter of hours. A couple years later I was on a wheelchair, I remember being afraid to go into the once familiar outside world, people would stare at me as I went by, disgusted, I crawled into my cocoon of rebirth. My revitalization was more than a healing process, it was more like a reincarnation; I felt I had been reborn, my life had been changed. When I had lost all hope, what kept me going was that one single compassionate lady, who had the courage to do the unthinkable, her humane sympathy was my Polaris, it guided me in the right direction, and it gave me a spark of hope that ignited into my everlasting determination. Today, I am healed to my maximum potential, with a personal understanding of the medical field, this is what I chose to pursue. I believe in compassion and its ability to straighten our very crooked lives; its strength to guide me through my long, difficult journey; its core in which I see as a light at the end of an infinite, pitch-dark tunnel of hardships. I believe people are like threads, each thread intertwining with one another, all combining into an elegant, diverse quilt which symbolizes six billion strong. I believe compassion allows us to understand each other, to share each other’s pain, for as a quilt, we are forever tied together; as one of us falls, we rely on the quilt to catch us as we fall into the dangerous journey of life. Compassion is what links the world together and it allows us to do helpful and humane things, this I believe.