Elizabeth - Houston, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in seizing opportunities as they pass us on life’s path. Every day I wonder whether attending my high school was the best choice or not. I think about the fact that if I attended my zoned high school my senior year would have been much simpler than it currently is. Instead of staying up more than half the night to finish work, I would be getting a full nights rest. I would also be taking simpler classes and making better grades and have a higher GPA.

Instead I’m attending a harder school. As I look back to the day when I received my acceptance letter I remember feeling a wave of defeat as I realized what the next four years of my life were going to be like. I didn’t want to go, but my parents told me to see it as an opportunity of a lifetime. As the years progressed the workload increased as did my stress level. I remember thinking that I must have been an idiot to come to this school. I didn’t realize the benefit of working hard until I talked to an old friend who attended a “typical” school and is now in a university. Her high school didn’t require her to take advanced classes so she didn’t, and now in college she tells me that it is very difficult for her. On the other hand, most of my school’s old graduates find college much easier than high school.

It was then I realized that had I gone to the easier school, I wouldn’t be prepared for my future. I wouldn’t have gotten the necessary materials to help me succeed in life. My parents were right in saying that attended this high school was an opportunity of a lifetime because that decision will affect the rest of my life. I learned that we have to seize every opportunity life gives to us even if we are scared or worried because you never know what’s at the end of the tunnel.