Good Servers

Jennifer - Weyers Cave, Virginia
Themes: work

Good Servers

How many times have you watched someone or you yourself haven’t left a restaurant server a tip? Well this happens frequently, and that is why I believe servers should be paid minimum wage and add gratuity into the customer’s check. Servers have to depend on their customers tips and they only get paid about $2.15 an hour.

In many cases people don’t realize how little a server’s hourly wage is. When I worked at a restaurant, and we would have slow days it almost wasn’t even worthy my gas to drive down to work. Especially now that we are in an unstable economy, many customers have to leave a lesser tip. Say your check is ten dollars, ten percent is only one dollar, and if you are feeling generous that day and you want to leave fifteen percent, that’s only a dollar fifty. That is not unreasonable, and I don’t believe that ten or fifteen percent will break anyone’s wallet. I remember one evening I was working I had my whole section closed down for a holiday party for a company and the bill came to about two hundred dollars, but I wasn’t left a tip.

Restaurants should also be held accountable for server’s wages as well. If you are a good server, you deserve to make minimum wage. Companies should value their servers because it is not an easy job. If we would get paid minimum wage we wouldn’t have to depend on customers tips to pay our bills. I’ve heard many customers say “The only reason you’re being so nice is because you want a good tip.” That’s not always true because like every other job, we are expected to perform well even under horrible circumstances.

My next point is that servers are expected to cater to the customer’s needs. We do all the necessary leg work to keep the customer comfortable and happy. This means if a customer needs five soufflé cups of ranch we get it as quickly as possible. Restaurant dinning is a luxury and not a necessity. If a customer is having a bad day and comes to the restaurant, it is our responsibility to resolve the issue and have them leave satisfied.

Servers also are being tested everyday. There are many times when customer are just plain rude, but it is our job to be kind and polite. “The customer is always right.” We have to deal with complaints like “This sweet tea isn’t sweet enough!” Many times we hear bogus reasons customers try to justify themselves for not leaving a tip. For instances, she didn’t bring the drinks out fast enough, she was rude, and that table over there likes her so they will leave her a good tip.

These are just a few reasons why servers are being underpaid. That is why I believer servers deserve to be paid minimum wage and have gratuity added into the customers check. After all servers are doing a service for the public.