Rachel - Sugarland, Texas

I have always told my mother that I wanted to be a pediatrician like my doctor because she inspired me. I have changed it over the years but it has always had something to do with being in the medical field. Recently, I have changed it to something different. I want to be a singer and actress. My mom told me that she believes I can do anything I want and yet she still makes me do things like I’m striving to be a doctor though I’ve told her countless times what I want to do in my future. I still want to be a doctor, but I feel that I will not be completely happy doing it because it is not my first choice job anymore.

I know that it is very hard to make it into the entertainment industry but I also know that to make it you have to have support and I do not feel like I have that.

The thing that really causes me sorrow is when she tells me that my dreams and searching online for local acting coaches are just fantasy. My mom and I recently got into an argument because I had not done some homework for a class because I forgot. When my mom gets mad if you have made a mistake she always refers back to something in the past to make it seem like it is your entire fault and it could have been prevented. She told me that, all that time I spend online looking at my favorite celebrities and watching YouTube videos of them acting is a waste of time.

She stressed that I needed to be focusing on schoolwork because I was not going to be like any of the people that I watch everyday on TV. Later I went to my room and cried. I then promised myself that I would stop caring about anything and just go through everyday without having any emotion for anything but that didn’t work out because it’s not the type of person I am. I wanted my mom to see that I was not happy but I always find ways to make myself feel better involuntarily.

Once again, I am dreaming of becoming a singer and actress but I am going to keep quiet for a while because I want to surprise my mom one day. I love my mom but from what she’s shown me, she has a one track mind on the types of lives people should live and I think it is that, people should strive for the best practical career there is and to her that is being a doctor.

The best career is not practical but something I love and something I believe is the best for me. I believe that people should be able to choose the careers they love and want with all their hearts and that they should have the support of their family to guide them.