The Two Paths

Crystal - Houston, Texas

In health class the other day, I was watching as my friend drew the two paths

of life; the “good” one that consisted of graduating from school, getting a job

and married, and then a peaceful death of old age, and the “bad” one which

led the stick figure to a life of drugs, jail, and ultimately death by a

bullet. Cheesy as it was, it really did make me think because as a child

people always told me to “follow the right path in life” but I had never really

thought much about it until now. Simple as those words may be, I believe that those six words have in a way guided my conscience to make the decisions that I am proud to live up to today.

Throughout my entire process of applying to colleges, the one thing that constantly repeated through my mind and that I have been most proud

of myself for is how far I have come in life. There have been so many excuses

that I could have taken and become a “bad person,” but just because I had a

reason that some people may find plausible, why should I do bad things which

would only end up hurting myself? Living in a rough neighborhood, the access to drugs and gangly weapons is like buying milk from a local grocery store. However, I refuse to let drugs take over my life. If something is bothering me, I do not want to rely on substances to temporarily make me feel better; I want to fix the source of the problem so I can permanently feel better. Gangs and their weapons also have no appeal to me as they hurt people for the sake of honor. My dream is to become an OBGYN because I want to bring miracles such as the birth of a baby into this world. I want to be a great OBGYN, maybe one day I will discover a medical procedure that prevents miscarriages or genetic DNA mutations, ease the process of labor without it being harmful to the mother, or even find a way so that the father could produce the baby. Maybe one day I can find a brand new way to help many people; like the way the recently deceased Dr. DeBakey did.

I want to bring lives into the world, not take them away. I want people to be happy all day everyday, not for two hours after doing cocaine. As I look back on my life, things seem to have all happened in a flash, but when I think about how far I have come, I am proud to be who I am today and only hope to continue walking down the path that I am currently on, one which will lead me to a peaceful death of old age, this I believe.