Unity within Family

Nohemi - Houston, Texas

People often speak of the necessity of unity within our nation, within our people, and within our generation but there is one thing that I believe in most; I believe in the importance of Unity within the family. There are many hardships that all individuals experience at least once in their life and it is easier to bear when there is a shoulder you can lean on in a moment of anguish. In every family there is a present barrier that needs to be broken; as people get older they tend to become more distant to their siblings and this is a great mistake.

It was October of 2007 when I was sitting in my room one night and I heard my mother in the other room, crying. She had received a call from one of my aunts in Mexico saying that he wasn’t going to make it. It was a moment of desperation for my mother. The very thought of never being able to hug her brother again was killing her. It was in that moment that she decided to go, well we all went but with the mentality that he was going to be okay. When we got to the hospital, everyone was there which was pretty amazing seeing as some of them had not seen each other for several months and now al nine of them were together. There was only one person missing but her condition at the time made her incapable of traveling. There were tears in their eyes and knots in their throats. My uncle was the oldest of the bunch and he was surrounded by the individuals that he worked for a long period of his life to provide for. The visiting hour was finished and the nurse asked everyone to wait outside for a moment. I thought it was a better idea to wait in the area that was provided in the outside so I went with my little sister. As I walked out there I saw my other uncle standing at distance and was beginning to walk toward s him but I decided not to. His checks were covered in tears and he was almost screaming, I could even sense a bit of anger in his tone which surprised me. He had not seen his brother in almost a year and his other sisters for even more than that. It was almost as if he was filled with guilt. A little later I saw him talking to my dad telling him that he shouldn’t leave that way. He needed more time to say goodbye to his brother. My uncle died a few days later.

I know that it was the hardest on my uncle to see his brother pass. Not because he was the closest to him but because he had created a barrier between everyone in that hospital, even my mother. The lack of unity between them broke his heart. The bond that was one day broken was too late to fix now. I believe that these situations can be avoided. I believe that in family, unity should be present at all times.