This I Believe: Forgiveness

Tzaddi - Houston, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in forgiveness. It is something that I have just begun to understand and hope to follow through the rest of my life. As a Christian, I have been taught the positive effects of forgiveness and am expected to try to forgive everyone including all those that may harm me. Even though forgiving has been pushed upon me, I still believe that it is something important that everyone should practice for various reasons. Sometimes it may be hard to forgive someone, but with a set mind and good hopes for its consequences it can be done.

Forgiveness is very important for all types of people because it is not only something that we have been asked to do by God; it is something that can produce a sense of freedom and relief. When one forgives someone, he or she is set free from resentment, bitterness, and anger that were stored in his or her heart before. We should forgive others for ourselves because we are the ones who suffer the most when we do not forgive.

As human beings we are born with a natural instinct of self protection. When we are wronged forgiveness is not the first thing that comes to our mind. Even though it goes against our nature, we should try to forgive others for our own sake.

I grew up in a Christian household. I slowly internalized the norms of our Pentecostal religion. I knew to follow the Ten Commandments and I knew to be a decent Christian girl. Even though I always followed our religion’s morals, I never felt as if I were truly into what I believed. Until recently, in my last year of high school, I have found a new spiritual family that has taught me how beautiful God really is and other things that can help me during my walk through life. Forgiveness has been one of those things I’ve been taught that has impacted me the most. The bible has many verses that talk about forgiveness but the most impressive to me is Luke 17: 3-4 which says, “Rebuke your brother if he sins, and forgive him if he is sorry. Even if he wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, forgive him.” I believe this verse is so strong because it shows that one should forgive others as often as is needed but should also bring to their attention what they are doing wrong.

Forgiveness is what I will now try to follow for the rest of my life. It is something that will let me have a peaceful journey through my life. It is something that will allow me to keep many relationships. Most importantly, it is something that I will do in obedience to God.