David - 93410, California

On an average Monday morning I saw a frazzled-looking student running down the halls of my apartment. A moment later, he brushed past me, rushed down the stairs, and then continued on with his hurried pace out into the parking lot. There was, no doubt, a reason for his haste. Perhaps he was late for class, or for some other appointment or interview. I had no idea what his purpose was that day but one thing was clear to me; he had somewhere to be and something to do. He had a reason to rush out of the building. Some activity, some job, or something in his life gave him a feeling of importance to be, to go, and to run. Some purpose fueled his every action. I believe purpose can be a very powerful force in life.

When I think about my purpose in life, I get rather frustrated. My purpose in the near future I’m fine with, because when I’m in school I know my purpose is to get good grades and to graduate. However, after I graduate, what‘s next? When I think about what’s to come in life, I feel like I’m looking down the road and I cant see the exit I’m supposed to take. Perhaps I’m just getting ahead of myself, perhaps life will show me where I’m supposed to be when the time comes. I know that I have a purpose in life, something I am meant to do and no one else. I don’t enjoy the feeling of being the in the passenger seat of my own car, I want to be behind the wheel. I want purpose.

I was raised as a Christian, I believe that God has a purpose for me in my life. My parents have told me time and again, that God’s plan is bigger than my own. I agree with them one hundred percent, but I guess I can get a little selfish sometimes when I try to live my life only for me. I forget sometimes how powerful of an effect purpose can have on someone. When I try to make my own arbitrary path through life, when I just try to scrape by with as little effort as possible, I lose sight of my goal in life. I ignore my purpose by not running towards the finish line. I think working towards the finished project can be so much more fulfilling.

When I don’t make the right decisions, when I let life’s struggles get in the way, and when I lose sight of my goals it becomes harder to find my purpose. Sometimes, it can be difficult to find what we are meant to do in life. I may be unsure of what I will be doing later in life, but I know what I my purpose is for the next few years while I’m in school. Eventually, I will find my purpose and I will run toward the finish line with my goals in sight.

Purpose can drive us to be better, push us to do what is important, and lead us down our life’s path. Purpose can be a guide when we feel lost in our lives. However, purpose can be easily overlooked in our busy lives. This is especially true if we don’t know what our purpose is. Now I remain watchful, knowing that as my life unfolds I will continue to see more of my purpose. It comforts me knowing that purpose isn’t just the grand and heroic adventure that the select few experience. Purpose can be subtle. I will not overlook my purpose. I will live my life with it.

David Moore

Word Count: 603