This I believe: Time is precious.

Jennifer - houston, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe

Jean-Luc Picard once said “Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again.” Thus I believe time is precious and should be spent with our loved ones before it’s too late.

Throughout life, I’ve always let opportunities pass me by and wasted crucial time with my family. It wasn’t until one specific moment this year where I began cherishing every moment. My beloved aunt would spend every summer with us. To be straightforward, I really thought she was aggravating. Summer was where I was able to wake up late and unwind but she was always there to wake me even before the sun was up or would make me clean up my room in the middle of the night. She would also go shopping and return with tons of children’s clothing and thought I would be able to fit it, but little did she know it only reached my belly button.

Then one day, my brother came home. The look on his face had no words. The stillness and hurt in his voice overflowed my body with fright. Once he was able to spit the words out, he said “Auntie is gone.” There I stood baffled, distraught, and overall hurt. How could this have happen? The day before, she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with cancer. Any chance of her survival required immediate surgery. She said no instantly. She didn’t want to put her family through all the trouble and uncertainty of her well being after surgery. Then later that night she went to bed and gave her last breath.

I didn’t really believe that she was gone until I stood there staring at her lifeless body in the casket. It was then when I realized that she was gone. The tears began flowing nonstop. The most heartbreaking moment was when the kids my aunt used to care for approached their parents and asked them where auntie went. Their moms told them she found a new home-heaven. The kids begged their moms to bring her back home and kept apologizing and saying anything just to bring her back. That moment was just saddening.

This experience taught me that time is valuable and I should never take anything for granted because you’ll never know when it’ll be the last time you ever spend with someone. Whenever my aunt came over, I always had the mentality that she was going to come over again and again but little did I know it was all going to end in just an instance. During these tough times in life, many just go through life thinking that everyone and everything will still be there the next day but I want to ask you one question. What if tomorrow the one thing you loved and took for granted just vanished?