The Dual Life Of A Superhero Blogger

Brendan - Hickory, North Carolina

I love to write. Actually, to me writing is more of a necessity to me than admiration. I grew up with a slight speech impediment. Being shuffled in closed circles because of my speech disability only enhanced my writing. Writing made it easier for me to express my views. Writing also filters out all the “whats?”, strange looks, and second guesses I always recieved when I was at school.

My speech improved in High School and later college. I think that writing helped my speech as well as helping me recieve all my college degrees. I have a BA in English and an MS in the Administration field. If there was a major in Writing in the form of an expressionist art, I would have a PhD!

When I left college and entered the “real world” it was like I went back into the dark ages. Don’t me wrong, I like what I do. It’s just that I can’t write a five page composition the way I used to in college. Although my speech has improved, there are people who still second guess me and repeatedly say “What?” every other time I spoke. It’s not that I regressed, I’m in the “real world” with its fragmented communication and multifaceted dialogue. Then again, I can’t bite the hand that feeds me. Therefore, I kindly repeat myself no matter how many times I’m asked “What?”

I was so used to the antiseptic world of writing, protected from the rapid fire onslaught of the “get it done NOW” mantra of the workplace. I can write some in my paperwork, but there were limitations: no narratives, opinions, and plot analysis.

Blogging became that white horse for me. At work, I’m just another drone in the hive. At home, I’m just another guy people kinda know. When I blog I can be anyone I want to be; from a social commentator to a music critic to a political analyst. You can say I become another person when I write. By day, I’m Brendan Ahern a mild mannered, meek, and quiet Social Services Worker. When I blog, I’m Myndscaper!

I wrote 60 plus blogs on MySpace since last May. The topics on these blogs range from my personal life to politics to current events. I pretty much blog about everything. Since I started blogging on MySpace , I recieved close to 2300 views.

Yet, I must go back to my so-called milquetoast life of my job and career. In this case Clark Kent is the overachiever whereas Superman is just another halloween costume. Don’t get me wrong, I like the duality but Myndscaper is the Superman costume in the closet. Sometimes we must all think, bloggers and non bloggers alike, that it’s cool being Clark Kent…EVEN COOLER!