I believe that siblings should be there

J - Stanardsville, Virginia

I believe that siblings should be there for each other through out the struggles of

life and through out difficult times. I was raised in a big family with six brothers and out

of those six four are older then I am and two are younger, I love them all but I am closet

to my youngest brother Colby and I would help him if it was within my power to do so.

My little brother Colby, who isn’t so little anymore is seventeen years old and I

would do anything I could to help him. Colby and I used to do everything together,

having been raised on a farm there was always something that needed to be fixed and

surprisingly enough there was never anyone around to help me but Colby. We would

feed the cows, go swimming, go to the movies, go to a football game just about anything

brothers and sisters do we did, the only exception was we didn’t fight. We could talk to

each other about anything and it was more like having a best friend living at home rather

then another brother. Ever since Colby was little he was a runt and never really grew, I

remember the first time he came home with a black eye because somebody had made fun

of his size.

Colby always insisted on doing things his way or no way and mom and dad

would always punish him and I remember one night my brother who is a year older then

me called Colby a runt and beat him up. Well mom and dad had gone out on a date and

left me in charge of my two younger brothers and Colby and Ethan went outside to bring

something in that would teach my older brother a lesson on making fun of peoples sizes.

They came back inside with a six foot long black snake that they were going to put in my

brothers bed and when he found this out the next morning he went crazy getting away

from that snake. I also remember another story were he was getting picked on by my two

oldest brothers and they hung him upside down from the hayloft and he would have

Stayed like that if I hadn’t let him down.

Well everything was going good until one Friday night during football season

Monroe was playing Madison that night and we had finished up early and mom and dad

had let us go to the game. Colby was once again getting picked on and the next thing I

know the police were running towards Colby and had him on the ground and taking him

to jail. This was the first time that mom and dad had ever said that they had done enough

for Colby and they were done dealing with all the problems and dad decided that it was

time to teach Colby a lesson.

Mom and dad sent Colby to a group home in Richmond, where he was supposed

to wait on someone to adopt him or turn eighteen when he could sign himself out. Colby

would still come home to visit at Christmas and Thanksgiving but things weren’t the

same that’s when I decided that something had to change I really wanted to help him but I

didn’t know how to. Then one night it came to me that I should adopt my little brother

and become his legal guardian and try to help him turn his life around.

Colby will be coming to live with me in a little under a week and I am really

excited about trying to help him out in life and I am just really glad that I was able to

get him before another family did. This is why I believe that siblings should be there

for one another through out the struggles of life and that everybody deserves to be

treated better then that.