Beats of my soul

Chardai - Houston, Texas
Themes: setbacks

Beats of my soul

Crying in my room, my heart fill with sadness and pain, I cannot understand how Erica could betray me in this way. Not wanting my mother to hear the tears of agony, I turn on my radio. That is when a voice spoke to me. Grateful by Hezekiah Walker blasted through my speaker and all I could think about was how Erica, my close friend, vilified my name at our school. At this time, I began to zone out and all I could hear is a powerful voice saying, “Be grateful”. Something was making me face reality, by reminding me to be grateful. Although I did not want to accept the truth of the matter, something made me. That something that I am speaking about is music. He knows what I am feeling and how to answer my questions. Soulful, humorous, and understanding all of these qualities he possess plus more. Music has the ability to envelope me with its various notes, enhance me with millions of different melodies, and soothe me with the soft rhythms it contains. Music is diverse and dependable, never lets me fall to the ground. From the soulful singing of Angie Stone to the harsh honesty of Pink, music speak to all aspects of my personality. Music allows me to escape reality, express my emotion and confine in a friend. With this newfound friend, there is the beginning of a new friendship. Although, this friendship slowly matured it quickly diminishes.

Music usually helps to escape reality; however, music has lost its meaning. Radio is filled with senseless artists with materialistic views; expression of the soul is no longer embraced but rejected by the mainstream audience. Artist who usually communicate deeper meaning experience low record sales and little fame, while other neophyte artist are praised and paid well for their boastful songs. My generation has forgotten the true essence of music and the deeper feeling it is suppose to bring you. Music is supposed to be the connection between the beats of the heart to the frequency of the brain. However, our connection to music has been disturbed. How are we supposed to sort out all the chaos of the world and bring calmness? My friend is now missing and I am left without him, facing abandonment, alone.

If the connection continues to be disturbed, music will start to affect my community. My community believes that happiness comes from materialistic objects such as cars, jewelry or clothing. They forget that happiness is the product of love and family. Music is starting tearing away from the value of family and turning toward polygamist views exploited in today’s song into the youth mind. If my community continues to ignore this rupture in frequency, we will in turn lose our connection to our soul.

My friend is quickly corrupted, and soon our friendship will be nothing but a memory of the past. I guess I will have to resort to hearing my tears falling on my pillow as my music.