That Most Powerful Gland

Joy - Houston, Texas
Themes: illness

I believe in the power of the thyroid gland.

Apparently, there are a few others who agree with me. 

For example, in the case of an incident involving nuclear radiation, there’s potassium iodide to block cancer of the thyroid. All you other body parts are on your own.

It seems those who plan for national emergencies recognize the thyroid as the source of master hormones, bodily chemicals so powerful that their absence produces cretinism, which deforms the body and brings on mental retardation. 

Of course, most of us don’t have a complete absence of thyroid hormones. But we may have, for a variety of reasons, less than the optimal amounts. 

One professional association of doctors estimates that as many as 13 million Americans have undiagnosed thyroid disorders. Your particular odds of having thyroid issues goes up if you’re female and if you’re aging.

Every cell in your body needs thyroid hormones. What’s the effect if you have some, but not enough, coursing through your body? 

Fatigue, depression, high cholesterol, and heart disease, to name a few. 

There are more. You can look them up. And you may have to, if you want to understand what your dealing with, because your doctor may not know.

I say this as someone who was told as a 10-year-old that her body didn’t make enough thyroid hormones, only to spend 50 years — that’s right, five decades — trying to find appropriate treatment.  

I was a functional depressive who experienced the whole raft of thyroid disfunction symptoms — even an hallucination that frightened me to my core.

And I am witness to the fact that doctors will throw a lot of prescriptions at you before they even want to test your thyroid function.

So thyroid gland, dear thyroid gland, I salute you. I’ll do my best to take care of you. And I hope you’ll do the same for me.