Save Our Pets

Jennie - Union City, California

In today’s society, feline and canine companionship has become common and widespread around the world. Most people searching for an animal friend these days are faced with choosing whether or not to adopt or purchase their pet. And as our love grows for our feline and canine friends, the stray pet population and cost of pet ownership have also increased. This is why I believe people looking for a pet aught to look into rescuing a feline or canine buddy from any local animal shelter through an adoptive care program.

As with buying any product in today’s market, people are faced with many options when purchasing a pet. One of these options includes buying a pet from a private breeder. The problem with purchasing from a private breeder, however, can cost a lot of money. Because buying from a private breeder usually means getting a puppy leaving owners the task of house breaking and training their companion. Aside from house breaking expenses, people also may have to spay or neuter their new pet, sometimes costing as much as 200 dollars. For these reasons, I chose to adopt my dog, Mochi, from Woods Humane Society in San Luis Obispo. At only two years of age, this Pekingese puppy stole my heart as soon as I saw him. Although he was found as a stray he had already been slighty potty trained and recently neutered by Woods. Furthermore, a former roommate of mine adopted his dog from the San Luis Obispo animal services where animals may be euthanized. He stated the reason why he adopted his dog Mayu was, , “to save money and the satisfaction of knowing that I saved Mayu from possibly being euthanized.” He also added that, “ Mayu was one of 75 pets rescued from a local Ranch after her owner passed away. She’s been a great dog and it was worth adopting her because she was affordable.” With this in mind, people looking to adopt a pet can easily find a great loving and affordable pet, just like Mayu and Mochi.

Most of the pets found in animal shelters were either strays or rescued from homes that weren’t suitable for their well-being. These pets simply lost their way home or their previous pet parents couldn’t sufficiently care for them. Therefore, it’s common to find many of these pets are easy to get along with simply because they only crave love and attention. Adopting a pet from shelters rescues them from their negative past and promises them a more suitable home. If, however, people adopt a pet with “the full package” offer, it would be all the more affordable and sentimental versus buying from a private breeder. (Full package= fixing, former training, house breaking, etc.) People would not only be saving money but also be giving that pet a second chance at life.

As our society’s love and demand for these pets continues to grow, and with the rising prices of adopting a younger pet from a pet store or breeder, I strongly believe that adopting a companion from an animal shelter is an option that all pet lovers who are seeking a companion should look into. Simply adopting a pet from a shelter can not only save a pet lover a lot of money, but it also presents the incentive that a pet may come with the “full package.” But the biggest motivation of all is the promise of rescuing a pet from it’s past. Pets at animal shelters ended up there because of being neglected or running astray.