Doing: Why I do Mitzvot Daily

A.`Libby` - Candler, North Carolina

I have felt lost, troubled, angry, helpless and any number of other emotions during my life. The common thread that runs through my response to events, is the belief that ‘doing the next right thing’ makes a difference. Whether it be doing a Commandment (As in the Famous Ten), a ‘Step’, as in the Twelve Steps of AA, or a doing a simple kindess, like trying to genuinely smile at the next person who makes eye contact with me, intentional acts are make the difference for me. I have always wanted to make a difference. I still believe that my life and every life has the capacity for delight, disaster and everything in between. When my oldest child was born with a developmental disorder – first thought to be Autism, later refined as Asperger’s Syndrome, I was very angry. I thought I had gone through enough difficulty in my life and I couldn’t make sense of a God or a Universe that would deal me such a blow. I came to terms with my situation, my life, by making a decision. By choosing to do what I thought was right at every turn of his development, I gave my son the chance to have a life where he could also have choices. In turn, I learned much about human behavior, learned to trust my own instincts and learned that people are not disposable. The very least I could do was take the steps that needed to be taken: some might call it being responsible. But, I believe it is really more than that. The difference is waking up each day and choosing to be present, choosing to honor others and choosing to be a loving presence in the world by doing what we think is right in that moment.