Jennie - USA

I believe that it’s important not to take oneself too seriously. Not to say that people shouldn’t try hard and live a completely care free life, but still there has to be a balance. Life’s too darn short to live by the books. Sometimes you got to just have a little fun and add a little spontaneity to an otherwise boring day. And sometimes you got to just say to yourself….so what!!! Stop worrying and live a little. Get your shoes dirty, laugh at yourself. We all trip over our shoelaces sometimes.

I believe that far too often, people miss out on potentially amazing times because maybe it’s not the “normal” thing to do. Living in the moment, and not getting bogged down thinking about the immediate consequences is much more fun. Take those people who will wait for hours under that overhanging roof thingy outside of stores until the rain lets up so they won’t get soaked during the walk to their cars. There’s certainly nothing wrong with that if staying dry is your cup of tea, but I say, ditch the umbrella, don’t avoid the mud puddle, and go dancing in the rain. So your clothes get wet? Who cares? That’s why they invented dryers. In the big scheme of things it doesn’t make a difference if your favorite shirt gets a little damp. That’s not to say you should just go crazy and do things that are like morally wrong or something or have serious consequences. I’m not talking about that. I’m just saying, that maybe taking life too seriously and striving to be that “perfect” person isn’t the best way to go.

When I was browsing though sample essays online, I came across one written by a woman named Lauren who described herself as being one of those “awkward, skinny, geeky, type kids with wire glasses too big for her face and braces.” She talked about accepting herself and her experience being the “ugly ducking” in a sea of swans. At the end she said something that got me thinking. She said, “Accepting yourself is the first step to becoming a swan, but if by chance you never become one, the ugly ducking is cute too.” And she’s right. At least I think so. Why spend your life trying to be like that? Embrace your inner ugly-ducking and you’ll have more fun than you ever will trying to be a swan.

Overall, I believe life shouldn’t be taken too seriously all the time. Not to say that it doesn’t call for seriousness occasionally because it certainly does, but in the end, it’s supposed to be fun. So next time you can’t find your shoes, don’t miss out on the trip….just go barefoot! If there’s a big humongous blizzard, take a personal day to go sledding. Missing one day of work won’t kill ya. I believe you’re never too old to go on the kiddy rides or have a lemonade stand. And next time it’s your birthday…go for that second piece of cake and that extra helping of ice cream…it only comes once a year. You only live once so why not make it rock your socks off.