Dare To Dream

Uloma - Houston 77061, Texas

Hastily scampering about to get our clothes on, we were completely in the zone. We had worked so hard for the coming 5 minutes. I had given up so much time, which at DeBakey High School for Health Professions was daring, to make our performance the best that it could be. We were “backstage” rehearsing steps over and over again. The atmosphere could not get any more intense than it was at this moment.

Morgan, the performer before us belted out an amazing note and with that the crowd erupted in cheers. We could hear everything. At that point we were all staring at each other. Samira, Camy, Emily, and I were as ready as we could ever be. Not like we had any option though, we were almost up. Excitement was dancing through my veins as I went over the moves in my head. I was pretending to be calm in front of my group but I was such a nervous wreck. Performing is such a big thing for me because it’s one of the rare chances that I get to show people how talented I am and how hard I work in my art.

When people hear me say that I want to be an actress they give me that look. The one that they think shows joy but they aren’t aware it shows confusion as well. Is it not possible for intelligent people to have careers in the entertainment industry? The fact that I yearn to spend my entire life doing something that most people consider brainless and unrealistic even brings some to the point which they feel the need to attempt to discourage me from my dreams. Yet, I know acting is what I was meant to do. The only way I can describe it is when you are having a rough time making a decision and then all of a sudden, as if it were highlighted and bolded, you realize what the answer is. And for some reason you are one hundred percent sure of this answer though you don’t know why.

As we, the DeBakey High School for Health Professions’ drama club, took the stage to rock the talents show I felt it. I felt the liquid pleasure of the crowd cooling my being and their applause soothing my mind. My spirits lifted and my heart found peace, I was home. I believe that everyone and anyone has a right to experience such an amazing feeling. I believe that regardless of stereotypes and assumptions, people should strive for what they feel is right in the world. If no one around you believes in you all you need is God and you will make it through for sure.