The Treasures of Life

Joan - Houston, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

As we walk down the worn down paths of life, we seek hidden treasures. To the poor, it may be money. To the rich, it may be cars. To a child, it may be candy. But I believe time is the most precious commodity of all.

Every day after school in fourth grade, the sidewalks and cross streets around the elementary were filled with children who were happy that yet another day of school was over; Another day closer to summer. There were always teachers who watched the kids cross the streets or get picked up by a parent. Smiles and laughs filled the neighborhood in which the elementary was located.

One day, a classmate from kindergarten was crossing the street with his friend Phong. His name was Wilson. We’ve all known each other since pre-k, and even though we were never close, I will never forget them. Well as Wilson was crossing the street, he drops his shoe, and as he bent down to pick it up, a car going about twenty miles an hour tries to break in vain. Wilson died the next day in the hospital from hitting his head on the sidewalk. The woman that was going twenty miles in a school zone said she was trying to rush to get somewhere.

As the world evolves, we all seem to be “rushing somewhere.” When do we ever take the time to slow down and see things with our own eyes? The poverty, the disease, the pain that we put upon ourselves when we try to haste things. Not only could it save a life in the end, but save us also. Although I believe time is too valuable to waste, I do not believe that time was given to us to rush. I believe time was given to us as a gift from God to slow down and see all the happiness and glory that the world can give; the memories, the smiles, and the laughs that we should all appreciate while time lets us. After all, we never know when our time may be cut off.