Hard Work and Perseverance

Cameron - Houston, Texas

I believe in ideal character. But of the many traits that characterize “ideal” character, I believe mostly in hard work and perseverance. I believe that they are two very powerful traits. Hard work and perseverance are dynamic because with them you have to power to shape your own existence.

My parents started molding my character at an early age. They taught me intrinsic things like honesty, trustworthiness, faithfulness, and kindness. Then, one day when my father was speaking to me, in one of our usual conversations, he told me that everything that is worth having requires hard work and perseverance to attain it. He went on to tell me a saying that his grandmother told him. “The only easy street in life is the one that leads to the poor house.” Since I wanted to live life auspiciously I decided to live by that wise epigram.

Throughout elementary school, I faced very few difficulties. My older cousins would always reply, “It gets much harder as you get older,” whenever I said school was easy. Well, when I entered middle school, I started to find myself facing challenges. In my math classes, I was introduced to new concepts that made about as much sense to me as ancient cave paintings. To conquer these challenges, I requested help from my mother. She is quite adept at math so she was easily able to assist me, but she insisted that I keep trying and practicing the problems that I found difficult. Eventually, all of my hard work paid off because when I graduated from 8th grade I received the title of Class Valedictorian.

After middle school I enrolled in Michael E. DeBakey High School for Health Professions. I chose to attend DHSHP because I had heard many positive comments about the curriculum and college preparation that the campus provides. However, I also heard some very daunting comments. After being loaded with homework, tests, and quizzes in my first few months, I became highly skeptical as to whether I would be able to maintain the marks that I received in middle school. Once again I looked to my parents for guidance and they reassured me that I could do just as well as I had done in previous years through hard work and perseverance. I thought, “How could I possibly work this hard for four years?” Nevertheless, I heeded the advice of my parents once more.

Now that I am older I realize that life will always send obstacles to impede your path to success. But that is why I have confidence in the power of hard work and perseverance because with them I will be able to hurdle over and life’s hindrances.