Lynn - Houston, Texas
Themes: death

Gone

I remember that morning clear as a bell. I had just finished taking a shower and was getting dressed when my sister burst into my room with tears streaming down her face. She could barely get through all she was trying to say. She finally said it. The words that stilled my breath, arose a lump in my throat,and clenched my stomach. The words I never wanted to hear.

Lily was our family dog. We had adopted her from the Houston SPCA as a puppy. While at the adoption center, she had appealed to us instantly. I still remember the night we brought her home. She looked so little and fragile with her tiny body and huge almond shaped eyes. For a little thing she had lots of energy. Her energetic attitude and playfulness quickly grew on us and we instantly loved her. She even grew on my Dad, which meant a lot because he strongly opposed of getting a dog in the first place. As the years went by our love for her kept growing and growing. I believe that our strong attachment to her is why her death had impacted our family so much.

The night before she died she looked a little sickly and we decided that we would take her to the vet first thing in the morning. We made sure she was comfortable and went off to bed. Little that we knew that moment would be the last time we would be seeing her alive. She died shortly after we tucked her in.

I came down to say my goodbyes to her as my mom closed her eyes. She looked so tiny and fragile as when we first saw her, but this time there was no energy and excitement behind those eyes. There she lay, limp and lifeless. Never would she be able to run around the yard with her squeaky toy. Never would she be able to play dead. Never would she be able to snuggle on the couch with me while I watched T.V. These things would never happen again. Only in our memories.

I believe that good things come and go, that is the fact of life. I believe that good memories can last forever if we let them live on in our hearts. I believe that bad things will happen in our lives, but life goes on and you need to embrace that fact. I believe that learning to let go is the key to moving on.