Breath of life

Dominic Nguyen - Houston, Texas

At least once in your life, you will think of a way to make the world a better place. You know that you have the potential to accomplish that goal as well, however, you soon lose your drive because of the pressures of the world. To deprive someone of their potential, to stop the possibility of making a difference in the world, is one of the cruelest acts a human can commit. There are numerous ways to prevent someone from fully realizing there potential, but the most effective method is the death of the person himself. If the person does not live, then who will be there to accomplish the actions of the person? And yet if murder is considered a crime in the eyes of the majority of the world, then why isn’t an abortion seen the same way? Wouldn’t an abortion mean that the would-be child’s potential will never be realized? That his thoughts and actions will never be able to make a difference in anyone’s life? Although some people see children as a noisy and troublesome group, if you spend time with them and understand their own thought processes, you can realize that they have thoughts not yet touched by the taint of the world. They have no stereotypes made against any one person, and that pure form of thought could actually change someone’s life. There are circumstances that people bring up, such as rape or perhaps that they couldn’t raise the child properly, however the child should still have been brought up. If the child was due to rape, then at the very least, the mother should let the child be adopted, rather than killed before it knew of life. If the parent couldn’t raise the child or provide for it properly, then why did the parents have it in the first place? And when people mention that their religion has banned contraceptives because it prevents the life from being born, I question whether the death of the would-be child is any better. However, until the children are capable of making their own judgments, the parents should make judgments that are the most beneficial toward the child, and that includes letting the child live. When people offer the excuse that the child might end up with a handicap, I begin to wonder. Weren’t the most brilliant minds such as Edison or Einstein considered addled as children? Wouldn’t the handicap show how much life is truly precious? The probability of the child creating change in our world is almost limitless. And yet, why do we want to stop that? Do we see children as a burden to society? Do we really believe that we can’t support them? Or is it because we just don’t want to go through with the hassle of raising them ourselves? And so, I believe that a child, no matter the circumstance, should be given life, and raised properly.